Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main
- Purpose: For Admission in B. E./B. Tech., B. Arch., B. Planning
- Eligibility: Class 12, 12 passed
- Apply: Online
- Activity: November, December
- Source: http://jeemain.nic.in/jeemainapp/Welcome.aspx
- Candidates appearing for JEE Main 2017 must have passed class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in order to apply. However, admission to IITs, NITs, IIITs& CFTIs candidates must have secured at least 75% in their class 12th board exams (65% for SC/ST students)
- Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) has as set up Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) to regulate and manage seat allocation in 87 institutes.Joint seat allocation for 18 IITs, I SM Dhanbad, 31 Technical Institutes (Other - GFTIs) is done through JoSAA.
JEE Main New Changes Introduced in 2018
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India has introduced some new changes in the pattern of JEE Mains. Here are the highlights:
- For JEE Main 2018 exam, CBSE has announced to establish 258 exam centers, out of which 248 are in India and 10 outside India.
- The board has decided to allow Diabetic students to carry sugar tablets or fruits such as banana, apple or orange and a transparent bottle of water.
- Slot Booking: From the year 2018, students will be able to book their slot for the online mode examination.
- No weightage will be given to 12th class marks for calculating All India Rank (AIR) in JEE Main. No verification will be required for 12th class roll number.
- In order to qualify for admission to IITs, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, candidates must have at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) in higher secondary examination or must be in top 20 percentile in class 12th examination conducted by respective boards.
- Moreover, candidates should have Aadhaar Card Number to fill the application form.
- Candidates from Meghalaya, J & K and Assam are excluded from this provision. Such candidates have to enter passport number, ration card number, bank account number or any other valid Govt. identity number to get examination centre in these states only.
It is conducted in two parts:
- Paper 1 for engineering
- Paper 2 for architecture
Paper 1 Pattern
- Course: Paper-1 is conducted for admission to B.E./B.Tech courses.
- Exam Mode: The exam mode for paper 1 will be offline (PBT) as well as online (CBT). Candidates can opt any one of the modes as per their suitability.
- Subjects: The paper-1 will consist of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects.
- Number of Questions: 30 questions will be asked from each subject with the total of 90 questions comprising of 360 marks.
- Type of Questions: Only objective type questions will be asked in Paper1.
- Language: For all exam cities, the question paper medium choice will be English & Hindi (except exam centre cities in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli where choices for question paper will be English, Hindi and Gujarati). The choice for question paper should be exercised while filling up the application form.
- Exam Duration: The time duration will be 3 hours.
- Marking Scheme: Candidates will be provided with +4 marks for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking In case of the wrong answer, one mark will be deducted.
JEE Main 2018 Syllabus
- JEE Main 2018 syllabus provides the details about topics and chapters that may be asked in JEE Main paper-1 and paper-2 examination. Both the papers are for different courses.
- Therefore, the syllabus is also different for both. JEE Main syllabus for paper-1 contains important chapters from physics, Chemistry and Mathematics taught in the 11th and 12th standard of CBSE, ICSE and other boards.
- For Paper-2 syllabus comprising of Mathematics, aptitude test and drawing. Candidates can download the detailed syllabus as it will be released by CBSE.
Paper 2 Pattern
- Subjects: The JEE Main Paper 2 will comprises of three parts which are mathematics, aptitude test and drawing test.
- Course: Paper-2 is conducted for admission to B.Arch/B.Planning courses.
- Exam Mode: The exam mode for this paper will be offline (PBT) mode.
- Number of Questions: This paper will consist total 50 questions for aptitude test, 2 questions for drawing test and 30 questions from mathematics.
- Exam Duration: The duration of the exam will be 3 hours. 4 hours for candidates having 40% disability.
- Exam Mode: The mode of exam for paper-2 is offline only. No online mode is available for this paper.
- Question Paper Medium: Question paper medium is English and Hindi. Students filling the exam centres in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Havel cities have the option to opt the question paper in English, Hindi and Gujarati medium.
- Marking System: Each objective type question will carry 4 marks for the correct response and 2 drawing questions contains total 70 marks.
Negative Marking: For each incorrect response 1/4 of the total marks allotted to that question will be deducted from the total score.
JEE Mains Counseling
- JoSAA/CSAB are the authorities which conduct the centralized counselling for admission to NITs/IITs/IIITs and CFTIs.
- Admission will be offered to the candidates based on AIR and choices filled by them.
- To get seats, it is mandatory for the candidates to participate in counselling and seat allocation process.
- There is huge number of colleges in every state that also offer admission through JEE Main. To get admission in these colleges, students have to apply separately in state counselling.
Institutes accepting admission based on JEE Main Score
- Purpose: Admission in UG programmes in IITs and ISM (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbad
- Eligibility: Class 12, 12 Passed (PCM)
- Apply: Online
- Activity: May
- Source: http://jeeadv.iitd.ac.in/
BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test)
BITSAT is conducted annually in the month of May in online mode by Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) for granting admissions to various Integrated First Degree Programmes of Engineering in the university. Nearly 2 lakh candidates appear for BITSAT every year and compete for around 2,000 seats available in various BE (Hons.) programme
- Purpose: Admission in Integrated First Degree programmes in BITS Pilani, Goa & Hyderabad campuses.
- Eligibility: Class 12, 12 passed (PCM) Special- Board Toppers can join directly
- Apply: Online
- Activity: January, February
- Source: www.bitsadmission.com/
VIT University Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)
Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) University conducts Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE) to offer admissions to aspirants in BTech programmes available at its Vellore and Chennai campuses. VITEEE is a computer based test (CBT) and its language of instruction is English only.
- Purpose: Admission in B Tech Courses
- Eligibility: Class 12
- Apply: Online, By Post
- Activity: January, February
- Source: www.vit.ac.in
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
The Kishore Vaigyanik ProtsahanYojana (KVPY) is an on-going National Program of Fellowship in Basic Sciences, initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, to attract exceptionally highly motivated students for pursuing basic science courses and research career in science.
The objective of the program is to identify students with talent and aptitude for research; help them realize their academic potential; encourage them to take up research careers in Science, and ensure the growth of the best scientific minds for research and development in the country. The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies normally on the Technology Day (May 11) and the Second Sunday of July every year.
Selection of the students is made from those studying in XI standard to 1st year of any undergraduate Program in Basic Sciences namely B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology having aptitude for scientific research. Special groups / Committees are set up at IISc to screen the applications and conduct an aptitude test at various centres in the country. Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students are called for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure. For receiving a fellowship, both aptitude test and interview marks are considered.
Generous fellowships are provided up to the pre-Ph.D. level to the selected KVPY Fellows.
- Purpose: Fellowship and admission to IISc Banglore in 4 year BS Degree
- Eligibility: Class 11, 12, UG, PG
- Apply: Online, in Person, By Post
- Activity: July to September
- Source: http://kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/main/index.htm
National Entrance Screening Test (NEST)
National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) is a compulsory test for students seeking admission to National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai.
Both NISER and UM-DAE CEBS were set up by Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India in 2007. Their mandate is to train scientific manpower for carrying out cutting edge scientific research and for providing input to scientific programmes of Department of Atomic Energy and other applied science institutions in the country.
- Purpose: Admission in 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences in NISER or UM-DAE CBS.
- Eligibility: Class 12 (PCMB)
- Apply: Online, By Post Activity- January to March
- Source: www.nestexam.in/
Other National Level Engineering Entrance Exams
Consortium of Medical Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMED K) conducts a state-level examination called COMEDK UGET (Undergraduate Entrance Test) to offer admissions to interested candidates in engineering and medical degree courses offered by colleges/institutes that are affiliated to COMEDK.
Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET) is a university-level undergraduate engineering entrance exam conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU). GGSIPU conducts the entrance test every year for admission to its undergraduate engineering courses at Indraprastha University and its participating institutes.
Manipal Institute of Technology offers B.Tech and M.Tech degrees in several engineering streams including Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, Building Science, and Chemical. The duration of the B. Tech programme is a minimum of 4 years (8 semesters), during which students will need to earn 170 credits in order to be awarded with the degree.
Aligarh Muslium University conducts AMUEEE for admissions to undergraduate engineering programmes. AMUEEE is a university level exam which is conducted both online and offline one time in every year.