Event Management is a program, function, seminar, exhibition, show, award ceremony, marriage or even a family party. Events happen day in and out. Every day there is a show, a concert , an exhibition going on in each and every corner of this world. Every individual might not attend all of them but will sure attend the event which attracts him/ her the most. To have a show, seminar, exhibition, etc. is no child’s play.
Event Management is done at a very huge scale in India. We have the greatest stage and television shows in the world. The growth of sophisticated and mega companies have bought forth a spurt of all types of events.
Research showed that there was no formalized education to teach Event Management. Event management companies found that they had to spend a lot of time in training personnel and they would lose a perfectly trained person to competitor for a better bait. Companies found that their executives lacked expertise to handle events, and hence a growing need was left, to have a formalized training in Event Management.
Event Management course was started with an aim to:-
· Produce trained and qualified work force for the event and entertainment industry.
· Create a new class of Event Managers, Event Co-ordinators and Consultants.
· To bring India on a higher footing in the Events Industry.
· To constructively utilize the talents of our youngsters towards one of the fastest growing industry. (it grows at 30%)
Current trends in Event Management
· Event Management is a multi-million dollar industry with mega shows, and events increasing every day.
· Private functions like marriages and birthday parties have become important social matters, and have to be professionally managed. Each individual wants it to be a memorable “event”.
· The spurt in the meetings of MN C’s, product launches, increasing glamour, star presence (cricketers, politicians, film personnel ) has made events a matter of class and style.
· Current trends prove one simple statement “ Make hay when the sun shines”.
What does a course in Event Management include ?
Event Management includes Organizational skills like Event Team Leadership & Event Marketing, Technical Knowledge, P.R., Advertising, logistics (includes Sound, Lights, Catering, Law, Sponsorships etc.), decoration, human relations, study of law and licenses, Crisis & Risk management, Budgeting, Study of allied like television and other medias and several other areas.
A minimum of pass in +12th. With good knowledge of English. Being a Graduate is required for admissions in the elite colleges ( viz..IIM’s , IIEM, etc. )
Other Courses in Event Management
- Certificate Course in Event Management (CEM).
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Event Management (PGDEM).
Note : Most of the courses are part time. Classes are generally held during evenings.
Most of the institutes offer Students practical training by giving them Live projects which include all kinds of small and large events. This makes a student exposed to high cost National & International events.
- Good Communication & Interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills, Basics of P.R.
· Patience, Perseverance, endurance & above all Handwork.
- Ability to lead a team & get the work done.
- Mathematical, logical & analytical skills.
- Amity Institute of Event Management, New Delhi.
· Event Management Development Institute, IES Management College, Mumbai.
- Indian Institute of Event Management, Mumbai.
- Indian Institute of Management, New-Delhi.
· International Center for Event Marketing, New Delhi-110 016.
· International Institute of Event Management, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai.
- National Institute of Event Management,Mumbai.
· Department of Adult & Continuing Education and Extension, University of Mumbai, Mumbai
· Event Management (local, National & International events).
- Public Relations (Govt as well as private sector).
- Mass Media (Journalism, TV & radio shows).
· Other sectors like (Customer service – Call centers, BPO’s, MNC’s .