Social work loosely translated refers to the various services that are especially designed to provide help for the poor and aged and look aftertheir welfare. The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) is an undergraduate level degree that is awarded to individuals who complete their 3 years in the field of social work. This degree is otherwise known as the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (B.A.SW).
Advantages or Benefits of Bachelor of Social Work Degree
- The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree provides individuals with the qualification needed to get employed with numerous Human Service Providing Agencies.
- Upon the completion of the BSW course, individuals can go for advanced studies, namely the Masters Degree in Social Work program (MSW).
Eligibility Criteria for BSW
The B.A. (Hons) Social Work is a graduate level academic program that isbased on the many theories of social work. The basic qualification neededby a person to join the Bachelors degree in Social Work (BSW) is a pass inclass 10+2. Those students who have taken psychology, sociology, social work or any or related fields shall be granted preference. Aspirants of theBSW course will need to appear for an admission test that is carried by the concerned university/institute (some institutions tae in students on the basis of the marks got in the class 12 qualifying exam). Individuals willalso need to appear for a Personal Interview.
Numerous colleges in our nation offer students courses in the BSW course.Students also have the option to pursue this course by the distance education method. One amongst the leading institutions in our country that offer the BSW course by this method is the prestigious Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
Admission Procedure for BSW
Admission forms for the BSW course can be procured from the institute concerned or by post. Forms can also be downloaded from the official website of the institution. Some forms can also be filled online by the students. But before they proceed to submit the form by this procedure,they are to take a DD of the amount required. The admission form is to be accompanied by all the vital papers needed.
BSW Entrance exams in India
The admittance to the Bachelors degree in Social Work (BSW) is done as per the marks scored by applicants in the admission test.
BSW Entrance Exam Pattern
The total mark the entrance exam shall carry is 100 marks. Besides this,another 100 marks is to be secures by the students as part of the admission procedure. The details are furnished below:
- Academic Record etc (10 marks)
- Group Discussion (40 marks)
- Personal Interview (50 marks)
To get selected for admission, students of the reserved categories ought to score above 35 percent marks. Others must have a score of above 45 percent.
Top BSW Colleges in India
- Alvas College of Social Work, Moodbidri
- Anand Institute of Social Work, Anand
- Bhagini Mandal-College of social work, Jalgaon
- Bharathidasan University
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Administrative Premises
- College of Social Work, Mumbai
- Dr. A.V. Baliga Institute of Social Science and Rural Management,Karnataka
- Institute of Language Studies and Applied Social Sciences (ILSASS), Gujarat
- Jamia Millia Islamia: Faculty of Social Sciences, New Delhi
- K.M.M. College of Arts and Science, Thrikkakara
- Little Flower Institute of Social Sciences and Health (L.I.S.S.A.H.),Kozhikode
- Madras School of Social Work, Chennai
- Madurai Institute of Social Sciences, Madurai
- Mahatma Phule College of Social Work, Nandurbar
- Matru Sewa Sangha (M.S.S.) Institute of Social Work, Nagpur
- National Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences (N.I.S.W.A.S.S.),Bhubaneshwar
- National Institute of Social Work, Nagpur
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Our Ladys Educational Society, Satara
- Patna University, Patna
- Rajagiri School of Social Work and Rajagiri School of Computer Science
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur (Maharashtra)
- Roda Mistry College of Social Work and Research Centre, Hyderabad
- School of Social Work, Mangalore
- Stella Maris College
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Vishwa Bharati University
- Vivekananda Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences(V.I.S.W.A.S.S.), Bhubaneshwar (Orissa)
What to do after BSW?
Social work is best suited for a person who likes to take care of others and shoulder responsibilities against the cruelty shown towards animals or people. A career in the field of social work will provide individuals with an opportunity to help people who have troubles of many kinds. This will include social, educational, domestic or other factors.
When one completes the Bachelors level course in Social Work, they canapply for jobs immediately or go for higher education. As a result of competition between jobs, it will be of great help for individuals if they have a Masters degree in Social Work.
Social workers can be generally as per as the work they do each day. They can be broadly categorized into three types. They comprise of:
- Child, Family And School Social Workers
- Medical And Public Health Workers (This Includes Animals And Property)
- Mental Health And Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Other types of social workers consist of people, who are involved in planning and policy making, administration etc.
Job and Career options for BSW
Employment opportunities are available for social workers within firms of the private as well as public sectors. Some job areas that social workers can choose comprise of counselors in:
- Community Policing
- Environmental Protection
- Employment Areas
- Correction Cells
- Counseling Centers
- Disaster Management Department
- Education Sector
- Gender Issues Associations or Groups
- Health Industry
- HR Department of Industries
- Human Rights Agencies
- Mental Hospitals
- Natural Resources Management Companies
- Old Age Homes
- Criminology Specialists
- Executive Officer
- Labor Welfare Specialists
- Probation Officer
- Social Security Officer
- Social Worker
- Trainee Officer