Bachelor of Science in Nursing or B.Sc Nursing is a 4-year undergraduate course, the minimum eligibility criterion for which is the successful completion of 10+2 level of education in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. B.Sc Nursing admission is based on entrance exams held between April-June, conducted by respective B.Sc. Nursing colleges.
B.Sc (Basic) - Candidates should pass 10+2 in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and he/she should be medically fit.
B.Sc (Post-Basic) – Candidates should pass 10+2 in PCB. Those who have passed 10+1 are also eligible for admission. He/She must have obtained a certificate in General Nursing and Midwifery and registered as R.N.R.M (Registered Nurse Registered Midwife) with the State Nurses Registration Council. Also, a proof of training by Indian Nursing Council or equivalent is required in the following domain
· O.T. Techniques Ophthalmic Nursing Leprosy Nursing TB Nursing Psychiatric Nursing
· Neurological and Neuro surgical Nursing Community Health Nursing Cancer Nursing Orthopedic Nursing
B.Sc Nursing admission is purely based on entrance exams held in between April- June. Candidates can fill the application form in both online and offline mode.
For filling online, candidates need to go to the administrator website of the concerned entrance exam and fill the requirements. After that, a print out of the completed form is to be taken out. The print out along with the obligatory documents and DD of specified amount are needed to be sent to the relevant exam body. For offline application, candidates need to get the form along with the brochure from the exam conducting body or from the designated centers and can finish the formality. Following is a list of B.Sc Nursing colleges along with their entrance exams:
AIIMS - (All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
B.Sc. Nursing Admission Test
AFMC Entrance Exam
Armed Forces Medical College B.Sc Nursing program entrance exam.
Nitte University Mangalore
B.Sc Nursing Entrance Exam (NUPMET)
Banaras Hindu University
B.Sc (Nursing) Admission Test
Punjab Para Medical Entrance Test for Admission to B.Sc. Nursing courses
Entrance Test for Admission to B.Sc. Nursing courses
B.Sc Nursing entrance exam is of 2-hour duration and comprises objective type questions with 4-5 options. The exam is of 400 marks and students will be provided OMR sheet for marking their answers. There is negative marking for each wrong answer. Questions are asked from PCB and the questions are mainly set in English. The total marks necessary to get admission is dependent on the requirement of the college or university concerned.
Top nursing colleges in India
- RAK College of Nursing, Delhi
- CMC Vellore College of Nursing
- Manipal University: Manipal College of Nursing
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences: Department of Nursing
- Father Muller College of Nursing, Mangalore
- B.M. Birla College of Nursing, Kolkata
- SNDT Faculty of Nursing, Mumbai
- Sree Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai: College of Nursing
- Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai
- National Institute of Mental health and Neurosciences, Bangalore: Department of Nursing
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai: Nursing
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research: Department of Nursing
- Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai: College of Nursing
- School of Health Sciences: IGNOU
- Kovai Medical Center Research and Educational Trust: College of Nursing
- St. John's College of Nursing, Bangalore
- Amrita University: College of Nursing, Cochin
- SRM University: College of nursing Chennai
- Madras Medical College, College of Nursing
- MIMS College of Nursing, Calicut, Kerala
- Apollo College of Nursing, Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
- KokilabenDhirubhaiAmbani Nursing College
- JamiaHamdard University: Faculty of Nursing
- CMC Ludiana: College of Nursing
- Government College of Nursing, Kottayam
- Government College of Nursing, Calicut
- Government College of Nursing, SSKM Hospital, Kolkata
- Government College of Nursing, Thiruvananthapuram
- MSR Institute of Nursing Education & Research, Bangalore
- Madras Medical Mission, College of Nursing, Chennai
The average course fee ranges from INR 8,000 to 30,000 per year.
The objective of the B.Sc. Nursing Syllabus is to demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills in providing comprehensive nursing care based on the problem-solving approach in the hospital and community. B.Sc Nursing career options include employment in areas like hospitals, nursing homes, clinics and health departments, railways and defense etc.
B.Sc Nursing also comprises a Post-Basic course which is further divided into 2 categories, viz Regular and Distance. B.Sc Nursing Post-Basic Regular course is of 2-year duration and requires 10+2 education along with General Nursing and Midwifery (G.N.M) whereas distance course is of 3-year duration and requires 10+2 level of education along with G.N.M and 2 years of experience.
Staff Nurse - Offers direct patient care to one person or a team of individuals.
Assistant Nursing Superintendent/Department Supervisor.
Deputy Nursing Superintendent
Nursing Supervisor or Ward Sister
Director of Nursing
Teacher of Nursing
Community Health Nurse (CHN)
Nursing Service Administrators.
Nursing Service overseas