The MBBS is an undergraduate degree programme in medical field. It takes the duration of 5.5 yearsfor the completion of the degree. It is very tough to pursue the MBBS course. This course is now in heavy demand by the students after 12th.
Through this course, the students are taught all about the human anatomy, human cytology, medicine, chemistry, pharmaceutical, chemistry, drugs formulation & effect and method of surgery.
The Medical Council of India is the only accredited body of medical courses.
Course & Duration
The MBBS is a 5.5 year (4.5 years academic education + 1 year mandatory internship ) UG degree programme leading to the two degrees as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
The MBBS is one of the most sought courses after 12th science in medical field. There are so many colleges and universities from across the countries which are offering the MBBS course.
The students, who have cleared the 10+2 examination and they had the Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 12th stream, may go for the MBBS degree course.
The MBBS is the only course in India to become a medical doctor. The MBBS course contains the basic subjects like physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, pharmacology and pathology.It is the course with hands on training with five years long. The students interact with the patient and get the practical knowledge of diseases.
The skills required to make a career in MBBS
- Ability to work with a team
- Deep interest in being a helping professional
- Good Stamina
- Responsible Attitude
- Patience and Compassion
- Constant updating of skills and knowledge
- Mental alertness at all times
Eligibility & Admission
- To get admission into MBBS programme in India, students have to complete their 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry & Biology and score minimum 50% marks (40% in the case of reserved category).
- Student’s age should be between 17 years to 25 years.
- The given qualification is not enough to get admission into MBBS course, students have to appear for the National Level Examination conducted by the CBSE, New Delhi, i.e. NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test). Students also apply for AIIMS & JIPMER MBBS Entrance Exam to get admission into MBBS programme.
- From the year 2016, the Supreme Court bans the state level or university level examinations for admission into MBBS & BDS courses.
- Now, all the admission into MBBS course through NEET Exam.
Top Universities/Institutions in India offer MBBS Course:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
- Christian Medical College (CMC)
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
Career & Jobs
There are good job and career opportunities for the students after getting the degree in medical as a doctor. An MBBS graduate may go for the PG degree programmes leading to the Domain M.D (Doctor of Medicine) or M.S (Master of Surgery) or M.Sc (Medical) etc.
After completing the MBBS degree successfully, there are two options for the students: either start their own venture or go for a job in the medical field. Students can also go for the government jobs as a doctor or join a private health firm. There are good future scopes in the field of medical.
You may be hired by the medical college, hospitals, nursing home, health corporations, health ministry, medical health society, back office medical consultancy and pharmaceutical industries. You can also work as physician, prescribes medicines & treatment for disease, research while surgeons perform operations.
The job profiles of the MBBS may be the following
- Junior doctors
- Junior Surgeons
- Medical Professor or Lecturer
Some Employment Areas are given here
- Biomedical Companies
- Nursing Homes
- Medical Colleges
- Health Centres
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies